Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I like Coke

I like coke but,  I don’t know much about NASCAR.  This was the response I got when I wrote a letter to one of my students before I attend the NASCAR Coke Zero 400 July 3rd!  This post has been lingering above my head to get done so here goes…

I had the privilege to attend the race with my husband, his dad, and two brothers.  Let me say before I met Adam I was right with my student, because I knew nothing about NASCAR.  Since them I have learned how long the race season is, what race tracks are in what city, what trademarks each racer has, the racers number, etc, etc, etc.  I root for Dale Jr, which is Adam’s favorite, but I like most of the racers for different reasons.  

Dale Jr. = Adam’s Driver

Kasey Kahne = Cutie

Mark Martin = The Oldie but a Goodie

Carl Edwards = Does a great back flip

You all get the picture!  We had been at the beach since Thursday and had cloudy weather the entire time.  We were hoping it would be clear for the race that Saturday night.  We hoped but, it did not change the weather.  It rained the hardest right as Annie dropped us off at the International Speedway.  BOO!  We were soaked, but I tried to keep myself up beat for all the fun we would later be having if the race would even get to go on that night.  I had to make a purchase since my hair was matted to my head with rain water.   I proudly wore number 88 which is Dale Jr’s number. 030           Not the best picture  and I am sporting my poncho, ha!

Usually the boys go early and watch the pre-race stuff and watch the concerts, but since it was raining we got there later.  We did however still get to see the fly over and sing our national anthem.  It was such a wonderful moment to show how grateful we were to be experiencing freedom during the fourth of July weekend.  

024

I was in awe of how large the speedway was, I was snapping pictures left and right when we got there.  I thought, “Who knows if I will have this opportunity again?”

037  028032   035

We got there right when the race was supposed to begin but since it have been raining  they had to dry the track off before any racing could commence.  TV is so deceiving because those dryers were louder than the actual race cars going around the track and the cars are pretty loud.   044  042All the cars were ready to go across from the finish line but, we had to wait for the track to dry.  The NASCAR people tried to  keep the fans entertained with interviews, games, and a MARRIAGE PROPOSAL. Oh yes we got to see a proposal at a NASCAR race…ha!  They were so excited, here are the love birds being interviewed.

049

Shortly after the proposal we got to hear the famous race words, Gentlemen start your engines and then 88 was off!  056

You about needed a manual for all the flags they used through out the race.  You have the green, yellow, red, white, black and white checkers.  I was so confused thankful Adam and his Daddy helped me out! 

069  Green Means GO…….

071The first lap…

079Kept up with who was in what place with the Placement board.

089      Then we got a red flag because of this….

084 

A race car on fire!!! Thankfully he was ok and not one of our drivers. :)

There were many wrecks but they all seemed to happen on the other side of the race way so I don’t have pictures.  I was so intrigued by the accidents that I forgot to take a picture of the yellow caution flag.  It is true I believe people go to see the wrecks, because they really are something. 

097098  Finally these two flags came out signally the end of the race.  It was a long night but a great one, my father-in-law’s driver won the race!  The race car driver Kevin Harvick had never won the Coke Zero 400 so we all went home happy! However we didn’t get home till after 1 pm (I think or at least it seemed that late). 

082

Thanks for letting me enjoy my first race Pappy !

080

I am also thankful my hunny put up with all my questions…haha!

Oh and the fireworks after the race are amazing.  I wish I had taken picture but I was too busy trying to keep up with them boys running to the car!  A great first experience and I look forward to experiencing it again soon, or at least hopping to!

*LRW*

2 comments:

  1. i love the races! I'll confess I didn't know much about it either until the last few years. The flyover and the National Anthem are my favs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to a race, but I did go to the Dale Memorial Concert one time held at Daytona. That was huge! Alabama and Kenny Chesney ;)

    The race looks like fun! Rowdy, but fun!

    ReplyDelete