Saturday, July 31, 2010

Get it!! Get Found!!

Last Sunday began Adam and I’s third year volunteering for our church’s VBS (Vacation Bible School).  The theme this year was SonQuest Rainforest so the church was transformed into the rainforest.  That took a lot of prep from a lot of different people!  We had a blast getting ready to wow the kids with an adventure to get found by Jesus!  The crew painted, twisted vines, hot glued leaves, made waterfalls, set up trees all to prepare!  Check out all the fabulous VBS workers…..

114 phone pictures 172 phone pictures 168 phone pictures 169  phone pictures 171 115  120 125  137 138

146By Sunday night we were ready for the Butterflies (Pre-K), Tree Frogs (K and 1st), Toucans (2nd and 3rd), Monkeys (4th and 5th), and Crocs (Adults) to join us on our adventures into the rainforest.  Each night was great we opened with a skit that prepared the children with what they were going to be focusing on each day in the different activities.  The main character was Grace and she was a great guide for the children through the week!  Grace didn’t always make the best choices or trust in her friends or adults.   She had to learn to make better choices and trust people to do the right things.  In our society today to do the right thing is so hard four our little children to do.  I think through out the week children saw that choosing Jesus and doing what he would want us to do will reap great rewards.  

160

The Professor, Grace, and all the other girls who were on the rainforest adventure.  They didn’t know what they were about to learn on their adventure!

225

Grace learned from the “River Man”  that kindness comes in people you least expect.  The kids loved the river man!

251  The girls learned about the rainforest but also how to listen to directions, work together, and trust each other while in the rainforest. 

Once we were welcomed each night by the continuation of the story we got busy in our rotations with the children.  Adam and I were group leaders the first year we volunteered to help. I was excited because I was hoping to meet some first graders that would possibly be in my class come August but we were assigned outgoing 1st!   Last year we wanted to do something more than corral the children.  We wanted to have the opportunity to teach more about God and what he can do in our lives if we choose to follow him.  So we volunteered to teach music.  I was so nervous, but it turned out to be an amazing blessing even though I had no voice by the end of each night.  So when we were asked to head up music again we jumped on it.

179

I worked closely with the children while Adam ran the music, music videos, motion videos, etc.   He did a great job trying to watch for when I gave him the cut it signal to stop the music.  It cracked me up when I was teaching the song movements and I would give Adam the cut signal and the children would start doing the cut it signal too!! Can you picture it?  Hilarious right…I couldn’t help but laugh out loud when is happened.  When the children were singing and I couldn’t hear them I would hold my hand up to my ear to signal them to sing louder and they would put their hand up to their ear too.  It reminded me how important it is to model and explain everything you do for them little ones.   

 239 

I loved working with the children, we started each session with the focus bible verse of the day.  We would talk  about what it meant for them in there everyday life.  There answers were priceless.   We would then get into singing and dancing.  I wish I had video because we learned the words A cappella and their sweet voices singing these words about Jesus were so moving at times.   At the end of the week they each had a special  song to perform for their families at closing ceremonies.  They did an amazing job with the words and movements.  After the closing ceremonies the children got to enjoy ice cream sundaes with their families!  It was such a perfect week!  I leave you all with a few pictures of the fun we had!!  Jesus was working in the children's lives and the volunteers lives!  I left this week feeling blessed I had the opportunity to change a child's life with exposing them to Jesus! 

177 195  219 230 240

 

*LRW*

2 comments:

  1. I just love the servant's heart I see in you and your family. What an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have known it was your VBS that week...I would have sent Nolan!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete