Monday, March 25, 2013

Who Would Have Thunk It?

Never in my wildest dreams did I think,  “Hey, let me start running.”  We bought a treadmill in November which has surely been a love-hate relationship.  Not because we have to exercise on it, but because it is never working correctly.  I would never recommend an EPIC.  But for the days it does want to cooperate I have enjoyed getting on the treadmill after work to jam out or watch a favorite show while getting my run on.  This whole running thing got really weird when I ran while visiting my parents in Tampa.  Who knew I  would look forward to running while away from home.  I love my run keeper app for when I run outside (she coaches me through) and sometimes when I have had a rough day and I have no desire to run I put up my VS catalogue for a little motivation, ha!

IMG_4563Proof I ran in Tampa

IMG_4550          

Run Keeper

 

IMG_4486

My motivation…swimsuit edition, no less!

After we worked our way to 2 miles of continuous running we began to research our first 5 K.  I wanted to do a festive one so the theme would get me pumped up and excited.  We decided on the St. Paddy’s Day 5K in Ocala. 

StPaddy5k-2

They had a costume contest which made me start to scout out the best outfit.  We decided to go for comfort over style.  But those sweet running pants were definitely a runner up for Adam, ha!

 

IMG_4569IMG_4482

IMG_4478

The night before the race I laid everything out since 6AM is usually 45 minutes prior to when my feet ever hit the floor on a normal weekday.  I hopped right up and got dressed. I was pumped and excited. Adam and I jammed all the way there, and were ready to get out packets and meet up with Rita and Hoyt.

photo 1photo 2photo 3photo 4

We had breakfast and got ready for the start of the race.  Adam and I stayed together for the first half and then I needed to slow my pace.  He just has longer legs than me and he needed to move on.  After the 2nd mile marker I had to walk about 3 house lengths because I was having trouble getting air but them resumed for the final stretch. 

photo 1photo 2

Adam finish 1141th  at 29.12 and 5th in his age group.  I finished 146th at 31.04 and 7th in my age group.  Out of 330 runners I think that is pretty awesome given it was our first one.  We have caught the bug as some say.  We are looking for our next race for April.  Some contenders are the Fallen Heroes 5 K at UF and a 5K in Macintosh for a school fundraiser.  Your welcome to join us!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Lauren! I love you're St. Patrick's Day look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. honey i am proud of anyone who wants to run and does not have a bear chasing you!!! i am so proud of you both!!!!! y'all are my inspiration :)nie-nie

    ReplyDelete